Shop the very best standby Generator for home use in 2021.
A standing generator is an automatic backup system, meaning that when the electricity goes out, the generator automatically comes on.
It is ideal for people living in areas that often face blackouts, electricity shortages due to natural disasters. A generator is a great solution.
Our topics stand by generators for home use
- Generac 7043 Guardian Series (Overall best)
- Kohler 20RESCL w. Commercial Grade Engine
- Champion Power Equipment 100294 14KW (Most Fuel Efficient)
We have made the process of choosing the Generators easier by presenting our knowledgeable guide and our expert’s reviews on the best ones. You’re guaranteed to buy the best one that will satisfy your requirements while prices won’t break your bank.
Best standby generator for home use
Listed are top generators for home use, and are powerful to supply all electronics items.
- Power Rating: 20,000 (LP) / 19,500 (NG).
- The following fuels can be used: Liquid Propane (LP), Natural Gas (NG).
- The transfer switch is a NEMA-3 indoor/outdoor option.
- Voltage Rating: 240 Volts
- Level of Noise: 67 dB
- Disturbances: 5%
- Warranty: 5 years limited
Its versatility, reliability, and five-year limited warranty drew readers and experts to recommend the Generac 7043 in the best standby generator list.
Further, you’ll receive 24-hour customer service from Generac manufacturers. This ensures that you aren’t alone if your generator runs into a problem.
When fueled by liquid propane, the Generac 7043 can deliver a maximum power output of 22,000 watts. However, it can deliver approximately 19,500 watts when hooked up to a natural gas line.
You can power an entire house’s electrical appliances with this Generator, even if you run it on natural gas it would power up an LED, computer, freezer, and such heavy-duty machines.
Moreover, with its self-start feature, this standby generator will be ready to use in a matter of seconds throughout an outage.
It’s particularly convenient to monitor the battery status on a Generac unique display. So, you’ll always be informed regarding the battery status.
A Mobile Link System can also be used to monitor the generator remotely. Its design comes with solid Rhino Coat powder coating on its open parts.
- Design built to withstand natural disasters.
- Self-test mode on a low volume.
- Powered by two types of fuel
- LCD control panel in multi-language
- Monitoring system via the mobile link
- Batteries are not included.
- Some spare parts are not included in a warranty.
- 20,000 watts (LP) / 18,500 watts continuous (NG)
- Work with fuel that is either liquid propane, natural gas, or electricity
- Transfer Switch: RTX
- Rated Voltage: 120/240 Volts
- Level of noise: 69 dB
- The distortion ratio is 5%.
- Warranties: 5 years of usage, limited to 2,000 hours
- The transfer switch includes a 100-amp, 16-circuit automatic transfer switch, 1100 volt 3-phase power, and is protected by a corrosion-resistant enclosure.
For numerous years, the Kohler 20RESCL has dominated the market, meeting all needs and expectations of thousands of consumers.
Among the reasoning behind this is that it has a massively robust engine, built and tuned to run for days. It can be used for heavy-duty duties without ever tiring out. With the capability to deliver about 20,000 watts on LP or 18,000 on NG.
As a result of its high performance, this generator is mostly used for commercial places, such as in a grocery store or a restaurant. A shorter startup time is expected. Which is just a few seconds! It boots up and transfers power very quickly to a whole area in just a few seconds.
Moreover, the energy is safe to use in electronic devices using a sensitive power line, like a computer, since it does not contain more than 5% harmonic distortion.
The Model’s weather protection is designed to withstand extreme climate conditions. Additionally, since the generator’s polymer base has been pre-installed, a concrete pad is unneeded for installation. Understood as a whole, it is rough-weather resistant.
As with the preview model of Generac, the Kohler generator also can be monitored remotely, and even the system provides you with alerts every time a treatment is needed. It could last several years if correctly cared for.
Finally, this generator seems to be the preferred product for commercial applications because it is highly resistant to weather and already prepared for rough weather. But still, If you live in an environment where the weather turns hazardous quickly, it would be sensible for you to have this.
- Optimized and tuned for a long run.
- Technology PowerBoost
- Monitor online via Mobile link.
- Boots up within 10-seconds.
- Stainless steel casing
- Local customer service has been reported as subpar by users.
- It’s a little pricey.
- Rating: 14,000 watts power with (LP) / 12,500 watts power with (NG)
- The following fuel types can be used: Liquid Propane (LP), Natural Gas (NG).
- ATS200: Automatic Transfer Switch
- Recommended Voltage: 120/240 Volts
- A noise level of 63.5 dB was measured.
- Diffraction: 5%
Ten years of warranty; limited on the usage of hours.
The Generator Champion 100294 model is more fuel-efficient than the larger standby generators. The 14,100-watt power supply consumes only 2.6 gallons of fuel per hour at 100% load and 1.6 gallons per hour at 50% load. Thus, making it a more reasonable choice for people looking for a budget-friendly Generator.
In addition to cutting out the need for refueling, people prefer Natural gas because it’s more affordable to hook a home standby generator up to the main natural gas supply and it is cost-effective.
For any reason, you may be unable to find natural GAS sources, or you may have a shortage of this economical option in your area. At that moment, this Champion backup generator is an economical solution for you.
The medium capacity of this generator should be sufficient for most home users, regardless of whether they live in a small or medium-sized home. Ensure that most of the electrical equipment would be up and running for hours without any unpleasant incident.
Likewise, auto-monitoring will provide insights about overloads and let you shut down circuits that are not essential. This model guarantees your main home appliances will remain functional for a longer time.
The generator also tends to work well in extreme temperatures. This type of model requires no warming package even in -22°F – 104°F temperatures. This makes it one of the best models for territories where temperatures go very extreme.
- Warming kit not needed for a reliable start
- Providing easy access with a gull-wing enclosure
- Optimal fuel efficiency
- Providing long warranty periods
- Mounting pad included
- Nothing major to mention here.
- On propane, the unit carries a power of 17,500 watts and on natural gas, it carries a power of 15,300 watts.
- Run-on two Fuel: Liquid Propane (LP), Natural Gas (NG)
- Switch type: Ats200
- The voltage range is 120-240 Volts.
- Noisy: 64 decibels
- Displacement: 5% while running.
- The warranty remains valid for five years; terms and conditions apply.
This 17kW standby generator is from Briggs Power 40555, which is equipped with a 12-volt battery and an autostart system.
This generator can produce power of around 17,000 watts on the propane liquid. And since it can also work on natural gas, since running on NG, it produces a little less power, around 15,300 watts maximum.
Even though the power supply is lower, it is considered a cheaper option for small and medium-sized homes. If you run it at half load, it’ll continue to save you more money as it consumes inscribed low fuel at half load.
The switch can manage 200 amps automatically, making it possible to power all circuits without sub-panels with just one push. With its NEMA 3R enclosure switch, it can be installed both indoors and outdoors.
A power management feature called Symphony II Power Manager is another useful feature to this generator. it offers many additional functions. For example, Generator control panels provide digital displays, hour meters, and Mobile link remoting via tablets, computers, making it convenient to look out for health stats.
Because this generator employs automotive-grade Galvanneal steel powder that is corrosion-resistant and provides corrosion protection all year long, it is impervious to moisture, salt, and other harmful factors.
This will ensure a long-term relationship with the product.
This generator is monitored for safety by the National Fire Protection Agency to comply with their NFPA 37 standard.
- Several services are activated at once
- When a power outage is detected, the generator is automatically activated.
- A structure must be at least 18 inches away from fire. This is standard procedure under NFPA 37.
- An additional 540 CCA battery is not part of the purchase. You must purchase it separately.
- The unit weighs 484 pounds, making it difficult to transport and install.
- Power: 11,000 (LP) / 10,000 (NG)
- Work on Fuels: Liquid Propane (LP), Natural Gas (NG)
- A Transfer Switch should meet NEMA 3 outdoor/indoor specifications
- Expected Voltage: 240 Volts
- Noisy: 64 dB
- Harmonic Distortion: less than 5%
- A five-year limited warranty applies.
- Mobile Link Remote feature available that allows monitoring generator’s health from computers, phones, and tablets.
Generac’s 7033 generator is similar to the Generac 7043 generator, but it has a smaller capacity and is well-made for smaller houses to run few appliances. Overall, it’s a pretty good deal when it comes to providing economical but long-lasting electric power.
You can expect the maximum power output: On propane, it has a maximum continuous power rating of 11,000 watts, while on natural gas, it reaches 10,000 watts.
Even though this version is a sibling to the top of its list, there is almost nothing it lacks when it comes to features, including, an LCD, remote monitoring, RhinoCoat powder coating finish, even the G-force engine speaks for its standard.
With fewer electrical appliances to run during a power interruption, this model is logically the most economical option, a good choice for a small home’s electrical needs.
Though the capacity and power out are half what the Generac 7043 has, the size is still as big as it. Its dimensions are the same, but its weight is about 100 pounds lighter. Eventually, it does not make sense as they are standby, not portable ones so measuring weight does not make sense here.
- Fuel economy by running on two kinds of fuel.
- Low THD
- Remote Monitoring using Mobile Link
- Self-testing mode allows for silent self-checking.
- A weather-resistant design with long-lasting durability
- Panels with multilingual LCDs
- Except for switch features for circuit breakers.
- Batteries are not included.
How did we go about choosing them?
Below are some most necessary factors that we deeply analyze and assess. Furthermore crucial factors such as availability of power and price we take them under consideration to suit your budget.
- Because it will be placed near your residence, it must be as quiet as possible. Most standby generators employ noise-limiting mechanisms.
- Advanced, automotive-style engines – Our chosen generators feature advanced, fuel-efficient engines, thereby lowering our costs.
- This generator can handle extended power outages as it is usually liquid-cooled.
- The best Standby generators for homes require less maintenance and run on extended periods, which means you can save money and time. Other factors like the climate are not a concern with our best picks.
How should you choose? Things to mind before deciding.
What you choose to power outrage depends mainly on the size of your living area and the appliances that will be powered, several people should also be count in.
On average, a house of 5 people will require about 5,000-7,000 watts to operate its most important appliances. Above that, you must make sure to look for a generator that can run on natural gas, at least producing 12,000 watts.
Typically, those looking for powering multiple electrical items will be seeking something that is even more powerful and lasts longer. Then, they will be best off buying a generator with a power supply at least of 20,000 watts on propane, and 18,000watts.
Why prefer Natural Gas? This is because homes with large families usually put more load on standby generators, which means the generator must need to burn more fuel. Although Propane liquid causes more power-up, for long-term usages, it is way expensive than Natural gas.
Look for Circuit protection options first.
When looking for a generator to power your critical circuits, look for the one that comes with circuit protection options. Fortunately, the latest generators generally guard against overheating. Overloading can lead to permanent damage to the internal mechanics of a machine, or it might catch fire when it gets too serious.
Standby generators usually run on propane (LPG), supplied by large tanks on the property, or natural gas piped in from the street. Either way, they’re permanently connected to the fuel source.
Take a look at the Fuel tank, ensure it will not run out soon!
It’s always advisable to choose a generator with a fuel tank that is large enough to satisfy your needs for at least 3 to 4 days if you run it on propane liquid.
In places with constantly changing weather and where there can be a lot of rain, you should keep the tank filled; otherwise, you would have to deal with a blackout at any time.
Choose that runs on automatic.
In general, almost all standby generators start up on their own when the power suddenly goes out and automatically turn off when power is restored, this is a super beneficial function to have on generators. They use batteries to keep this repeated every time, therefore it’s better to keep your batteries charged.
Always Hire a professional to install a Standby Generator:
A standby generator is best placed by an electrical contractor. Sure, the consumer can do it himself. However, the risks and energy involved are too high for a consumer.
This type of job is very risky, as one mistake can cause serious financial losses or cause an injury. Therefore, hiring a professional is obvious. An electrician can arrange permits to install one. He can advise whether or not to place the generator and propane tank in an appropriate location for running the generator.