Sliding table saw are high precision woodworking power tools used for cross-cutting and making longitudinal cuts on a wide array of wood-based panels, including plywood, veneer particleboard, fiberboard, aluminum alloy, and solid wood board, and more.
They feature robust specifications, and that’s why it’s used by most seasoned woodworkers globally.
The demand for a sliding table saw has been on the rise due to its sturdy and robust features. They are used for both domestic and commercial uses.
Unlike the conventional table saw, the sliding table saws are more advanced and have the capacity for huge pieces of boards and also lumber. Some are also automated for the efficient and effective making of precise cuts.
They are designed to boost the productivity of the user by performing much work with less hassle and time.
This piece will enlighten you more on a sliding table saw
Standard Sizes of Sliding Table Saw
Some of the standard sizes of sliding table saws include 3.8 meters, 3.2 meters, 3 meters, and 2.8 meters. However, other sizes are also available in the market. Sliding table saws are typically divided into linear guides’ way and cylindrical guide rail.
The cylindrical guideway tends to be smoother on the tabletop; thus, they are less vulnerable to damage and deformation as compared to the linear guide rail.
Body Structure of Sliding Table Saw
The main parts of a sliding table saw include the table, the bed, the groove saw, the main saw, the drive, the longitudinal section guide, and other components.
The working principle and the structure of this woodworking power tool are the same as ordinary circular sewing machines.
Additionally, they can be separately be utilized as ordinary circular saws.
Other features of a sliding table saw include the frame, transverse guide baffle, sliding table, fixed table, oblique saw guide, side guide baffle, bracket, saw angle display device, and many more.
Power and Size of Saw Blades
The sliding table saw is designed with two rotary blades, including the groove saw blade and the main saw. During the cutting session, pre-cuts on the boards are made in advance by the groove saw. This feature helps to ensure the kerf’s edge does not tear, especially when the main blade cuts.
The diameter of the groove blade is approximately around 120 mm. However, it is powered by a separate motor. Generally, the speed of the saw blade is more than 9000r/min, whereas the cutting speed is between 56 and 60 meters per second.
In the exact vertical plane, the blade of the groove blade should be aligned to the main saw blade.
How to Operate a Sliding Table Saw
For optimal functionality of a sliding table saw, you should ensure that its statically and dynamically balanced. Under normal conditions, the foundation is not required.
However, it can be added to a flat surface. When operating this woodworking power tool, the piece of wood should be positioned on the moving table. The moving table is then pushed manually so that it may be fed into the rotating blades.
This machine is much easy to operate. However, if you face any difficulties, you could use the manufacturer’s user manual or seek the help of a professional for more assistance.
Tips on How to Operate a Sliding Table Saw
- You should ensure that you clean the tabletop and the table around your sliding table saw.
- You should counter-check and ensure that your saw blades are sharp enough to work on various woodworking projects.
- It’s vital to test the power tool that you are using. You should ensure that the motor of your sliding miter saw is running optimally. The saw blade should be rotating in the correct direction.
- It would be best if you positioned the workpiece on the pusher and then adjusted the gear’s size.
- Once everything is set, you should then start the cutting process
Special Considerations When Using a Sliding Table Saw
- The plate is supposed to be near the block. Additionally, it cannot be moved
- Depending on the hardness and the thickness of the plate, you should adjust the push and the cutting speed of the power tool at a constant speed. However, you should ensure that it is not too fast
- When cutting small pieces of wood, the wooden strip should be pushed and pressed forward
- Operating a sliding table saw can be hazardous; thus, you must exercise extra caution while using this powerful tool. You should ensure that you use this tool for its appropriate use and put on protective gear. Some of these protective tools include gloves, goggles, safety boots, and not wearing loose clothes in your workshop.
- You must put safety considerations while using this powerful tool to not injure yourself while operating it. For instance, you should never reach out for lefts out while the blade is still spinning.
- Before changing the blades of your sliding table saw, you should make sure that the power source is fully turned off. This is a precautionary measure to ensure that you are safe while using this woodworking power tool.
- When not operating your sliding table saw, you should ensure that you disconnect it from the power source.
How to Maintain your Sliding Table Saw
To ensure normal dissipation of heat, you should ensure that collection of dust is conducted within the power tool. The dust collector bag should be fixed to the tool to ensure easy collection of dust and to ensure your workshop is tidy and clean.
For the smooth and swift running of the push table, you should ensure that dedust the pusher track more regularly.
You should regularly check the belt of your sliding table saw to ensure that it’s performing optimally. In case of wear and tear, you should replace it with a new one.
To maintain the quietness and stability of this power tool while using it for your various woodworking tasks, you should often fill the lubricating sections of the fuselage.
Safety Precautions while Using a Sliding Table Saw
Before operating your sliding table saw, you should carefully counter-check the compression nut, the saw blade pad, screws, and all sections of your tool to ensure that they are not loose. If any parts of the power tool of your saw are loose, you should replace it as soon as possible.
A sliding table saw should never be operated without protective gear. Before operating a sliding table saw, you should ensure that you protect yourself by wearing safety gear so that you may be safe in case of any accidents.
The safety gear includes a face mask, gloves, safety boots, goggles, and many more.
When feeding the workpiece to the blade of your sliding table saw, you should ensure that you hold it close to the position of the plate and the workbench. It would be best if you kept off your hands from the saw blade.
It is recommended that you use a push stick when directing the workpiece towards the direction of the blade to avoid being injured.
Before cutting a piece of wood or board, you should ensure that it does not have any nails, screws, or metal material stuck in it, as this could cause damage to your tool. Besides that, you will be compromising on your well-being.
The workpiece should be fed into the right direction of the blade. If you feed the workpiece in the wrong direction, your project will be impossible, and you could end up injuring yourself in the cutting process.
When cleaning your sliding power saw or checking it up, you should make sure that it is fully turned off.
Additionally, it would be best if you never operated a sliding table saw when you are under the influence of alcohol and drug substances. The use of substances in a big way undermines your judgment. In the long run, you could end up damaging your tool and even hurting yourself.
With the above tips and hacks on how to effectively use your sliding table saw, you will be able to use it in your various woodworking endeavors with less effort and time and improve your productivity.