Read on to know about home depot’s wood cutting policies.
Every home depot has a wood cutting center, at the backside of the store (if the store is selling wood). A dedicated place where the saws are available for making woodcuts for their customers. As not every home depot store is selling wood, mainly the small stores located in rural regions don’t sell wood- most likely no wood cutting center is allocated there.
To make sure whether the home depot store In your area has a wood cutting center: you can walk into the home depot and simply ask one of the employees working there. Ask politely.
Will Home Depot cut wood bought from another store?
No, at least my personal experience of being a regular customer of The Home Depot did not teach me that they will cut the wood pieces that you bring in, purchased from other stores.
And why would they do that? It goes completely against their policy of cutting woods. With this being said, they cut wood in sizes from 12 inches (4 by 3”) so their customers can take them to their place with ease.
And bringing your own woods at the home depot and asking them to make small cuts, seems complete against.
Mind that: Home Depot does not have skilled carpenters for wood cutting. They are daily wagers, working on daily wages, so it would be difficult for them to make angle or precise cuts, even if you are ready to pay them for this job.
About wood cutting service.
- The stores like home depot or lowes both offer wood cutting services to those who purchased wood at the store.
- The way the employee in the store cuts wood is not going to be so-called professionally smooth, perfect, nor angle cuts are made. Expecting this would hurt you if you want them to cut your pieces of wood with extra care.
- Also, the saws they have are only capable of cutting at a limited size, plus the blades on the saws are not sharp, so expect to have some inaccuracy in cuts.
As this is not their job to make precise cuts. The employee will cut your wood so that you load them in your car or whatever you’ve brought with you to bring that lumber with you to your home or workshop.
Home Depot’s cutting policies.
Stores like home depot, lowes, or many unpopular stores that sell and cut wood for their customers have some policies behind to follow. So that they can treat every customer evenly.
- One of the policies of Home Depot is: if someone has purchased a large board of plywood, finding himself in a difficult situation when loading the boards onto the vehicle he brought up. He/she can ask the home depot workers to cut the board into two.
- Home Depot does not offer their customers to rip their wood as they desired even they have purchased from the store, such as angle cuts, small sizing cuts, dado cuts, on others.
- The accuracy in cuts is not guaranteed. Sure that the guy operating the saw is not an expert. Neither he has any interest in making fine cuts.
- A few cuts will be free of charge ( as long as a longboard is ready to be loaded). if a customer asks for more cuts then he will be asked for paying extra few bucks for every additional cut.
I have a nice experience with the workers. They not just cut the board, they are also kind enough to load them into my truck. I really appreciate them for doing this extra work for me, I don’t know if this is included in their policies but the gesture of pleasure is enough for me to tip them.
The number of free woodcuts.
You may or may not get free cuts, it depends on the store/person, who cut it, and whether the cashier even knows how to charge.
There are no legal forums so write down how many cuts to make for a customer. And even if they had, the cashiers probably wouldn’t have known what to do with them since computers still require an SKU in order to process payments. In other words, this will vary greatly from one store to another, or from person to person.
- Typically the number of cuts you can get is not certain. Sometimes it gets 5-6 free cuts and other times only one cut.
The best way to explain it. Home depot will make free cuts as long as all the boards you have purchased have been cut, so can load into the truck or any vehicle. If you ask for cuts more than this, the worker may ask you for a small payment for every extra cut. The cost is .25$ to .40$ in my area, not sure how much they will cost you.
Does Home depot cut wood at an angle?
No. Home depot will not make angle cuts. Their job is to make simple straight cuts, just to turn a large board into two pieces so it can be loaded.
If you are expecting the employees to cut your wood at angels. You should not be expecting that, however, it also depends on your personal reputation. Sometimes a regular buyer means them more than anyone who has purchased once.
So, if you could request them to do so and the worker is kind with you and knows how to make angle cuts. Then, the odds may be in your favor.
Types of woodcut Home depot makes.
- Only simple straight cuts. No angle cuts, no narrow cuts, and neither and desired cuts will be made.
Expect to get some inaccuracy in their cuttings as well. Sure these are workers not professional carpenters. Also, the table saws most likely have dull blades- used too much, too frequently so less maintenance of blades can cause some minor ups and downs.
Home Depot’s accuracy of woodcuts. Are they good?
The level of precision in cuts depends upon the guy who is going to operate the panel saw out there.
- The accuracy of cuts will be in the hands of the saw’s operator. He can be a pro-worker, who builds up experience in working with those saws by cutting thousands of woods. Or he can be a new worker. In simple means, it’s your luck!
- Anyways, whoever the guy is operating the table saw at home depot. You can ask him to do his best, usually, they are not very interested in this extra job whatsoever.
In spite of the experience of the employee who makes the cuts for you, are the saws themselves. The two saws I’ve used aren’t the best. I can tell you that from experience.
These saws are industrial, but they’re not precisely maintained, as by looking at them one can easily guess that many parts are oiled, and the blades attached to them already had exceeded their working period.
Having the panel saw lined up and seeing precisely where the blade will cut the sheets is extremely difficult. Each of the saws consumes about a quarter-inch of wood to make a cut. It will be obvious to the pro and DIYer in the above example, but it might not be obvious to a teenager.
Types of Wood that Home depot cuts?
You can get almost all lumber and project boards cut at Home Depot, as long as you have purchased them from the store. Some exceptions should be taken here.
- Depending on the store, you may have better luck cutting pressure-treated wood. Some stores will cut it without a second thought, and others won’t.
MDF board cutting at home depot
- Home Depot employees tend to avoid MDF boards. The reason is very simple is that they are not experts in cutting, and the customer will be wanting a precise cut. And boards like MDF, HDF, are available in small sizes that are ready to ship, without needing extra cuts.
- If you need to cut trim there is usually a hand saw station in the trim department. Once again, these saws get a lot of use so they may be dull but trim is easy to cut through.