oak tree

Is Oakwood poisonous? What you don’t know?

Is Oakwood poisonous for humans and animals? Let’s find out the hidden truth.

Since there are many species of oak. The toxicity is different in each. Some species can be toxic while others not. 

However, I wouldn’t try tasting one, if it’s a completely different plant species. Perhaps you’re thinking of poison oak (Toxicodendron diversilobum), which bears no resemblance to poison. 

Though the species of oak trees can not be poisonous in the same way as arsenic or mercury which can lead to death in a matter of minutes. However eating it too much at once can cause a fatal allergic reaction in some susceptible to humans- the rest of us get miserable rashes.

Anyways, read more about the uses of oak trees.

Is oak wood poisonous?

If you’re talking about any of the Quercus oak species. Some oak wood species are poisonous to living beings. Read more: Different types of oak wood species.

To a certain extent, it can cause harm to livestock, especially if the leaves are chopped up to reduce tannic acid, which has an irritating effect on the stomach. 

Foliage supplementation may act more as a supplement than as a replacement in many studies. I would be cautious about this if I had livestock. 

According to the USDA, two plant species are causing deaths in ruminants. However, these cases occur when the ruminants consume more than fifty percent of their browse from oak leaves.

The young shoots have higher tannin levels (meaning the newer ones have more tannins). 

  • In simple terms, young oak trees are more toxic than aged, according to studies held by a reputable university: acorns produced by young trees are more toxic than aged oak trees, the leaves too.

What happens if you eat toxic leaves of oak?

You may get an upset stomach after eating oak leaves, and some leaves have spines at the ends of their lobes, which can result in vomiting. Therefore, It’s better to avoid eating oak leaves.

Oak acorns can be eaten after they are ground and boiled to remove tannins. Native American tribes, especially those in the western United States, consumed large quantities of acorns for food.

In addition to oak leaves, animals like black-tailed deer also eat young branches of oak. That can cause them stomach problems when eating too much at a time.

Is oak toxic for animals?

Animals that eat plants, such as horses and cows can get toxication upon eating tannins in too high a concentration in their daily diet. 

Despite not being their favorite food, animals eat oak leaves when they’re hungry, regardless of their dislike for them. Moreover, oak leaves taste bitter, which may be the reason animals don’t like them.

So, if you have cattle or any other animal that is supposed to eat plants, it’s probably best to keep them away from oak leaves as a fodder additive. 

Make sure that they don’t drink water from ponds where oak leaves are soaked in large amounts (tannins in leaves are water-soluble, meaning it can toxic water to some extent.

What are some toxic oak species?

There are many different species of oaks around the world, and not all grow in every location. Oak species are therefore rated differently according to their toxicity in different regions.

  • Among the toxic trees are the shingle oak (Quercus havardii) and the Gambel oak (Q. gambelii). Found in many regions including North America. 
  • In the Southwest, shinnery oak is considered a toxic oak species. 
  • The Gambel oak, also known as scrub oak, grows throughout the western part of the U.S. It is toxic as well.

Why are oak trees toxic?

Oak trees contain too much tannic (a substance) in their leaves. And the fact is, the substance contains some toxicity. 

But it’s not toxic to humans- if not eaten excessively. The human body normally digests tannins without harm. 

For example, the brown color in tea comes due to the tennis substance, also in red wines the tannins content is added as a flavor. 

Is oak toxic to animals?

Animals that eat plants, such as horses and cows can get toxication upon eating tannins in too high a concentration in their daily diet. 

When animals are hungry, they have no other choice but to eat oak leaves, even though this is not their favorite dish. And the leaves taste bitter, which not many animals like to eat.

About The Author